Monday, October 26, 2009

So I have a hyper uterus... Can't I just go home?

I'm sorry to have to tell any of you who may be watching my blog for updated baby pictures, that Squirt did not cooperate at the ultrasound last Thursday, and we really didn't get any good pictures. The little turkey was snuggled right up to the placenta for a lot of the ultrasound, and when he or she wasn't, there was always a little fist and a little foot right in front of Squirt's face. Good news though, Squirt has had a growth spurt! At the ultrasound we had at 28 weeks, Squirt was measuring in the 9th percentile. At the recent ultrasound - 32 weeks - Squirt is now up to the 30th percentile as far as size, etc. and everything looked good as far as he or she is concerned!

Things apparently didn't look so great concerning my cervix. It apparently looked short, which led to a very uncomfortable exam by my Doctor, which led to a diagnosis of being between 1-2 centimeters dilated, which then led to a two night stay at the hospital so they could observe my uterine activity for pre-term labor. Now, I've been sentenced to bed rest for at least a week, and probably longer. The Doctor keeps dangling my freedom in front of my face - I think so I won't kill her if she tells me I'll be on bed rest for the rest of the pregnancy - but I don't think she has any intentions of releasing me from my bedroom, couch and bathroom privileges only confinement any time soon!

Fortunately, my new employers are very understanding and are willing to let me work from home. I think that a sentence to bed-rest would have been grounds for termination at my last job. The more I think about how awful my last job was, the more I really appreciate my new employers. Losing my previous job has turned out to be one of the greatest blessings ever for Tim and I and for Squirt! Props to the firm of Gibson Ferrin & Riggs, PLC! Down with the other guys! If I didn't like one of the people still working for the other guys, I'm pretty sure I'd be praying for their office to burn down, or for a massive client exodus for them. Christ-like? No. But that's how I feel.

Anyway, after two nights in the hospital and lots of medication - steroids to help develop baby's lungs in case I go into real labor early, and two types of smooth muscle relaxers - my hyper uterus still hasn't really calmed down, but nothing has been progressing as far as dilation. Hopefully that will still be the case later this week when I go for another check-up, and they'll let me get back to the business of living, sooner rather than later. I think Squirt is pretty happy hanging out inside of me for a while longer yet.

4 comments:

Jeanna said...

Oh goodness...I hope everything is ok and you don't have to be kept on bed rest for much longer. I'm glad you were able to get a new job with such an understanding employer. Hang in there!

Mak said...

Geez- We'll be praying for you that Squirt decides to stay in where he/she belongs for heck's sake!

If it makes you feel better, I walked around dilated to a 3 with Lily for 3 weeks and at a 4 with Wren for nearly 4. Every visit my Dr. was like "You'll probably be having a baby when I see you again!"

Hurrah for your new employers- they sound super-cool!

Shaunie said...

Wow, Kira you have been through a lot lately! I can't believe you are almost done with your pregnancy. I can't wait to see Squirt!

Tennille said...

Bedrest stinks!! I was confined to laying on my leftside with Donny for two days. I didn't think I would make it. I think I ate a whole bag of cheetos in those two days. No wonder I gained 64lbs with him!! I wish I had known then that it would be the last time I could rest until....well, I'm still waiting for rest.