Saturday, January 16, 2010

The prettiest baby!

She was so little! She still is, but now she's up to 9 pounds, and she just seems so much bigger to me! I can't even believe that some babies are that big at birth!

Can you see why there was some confusion when I told a man who came into the office yesterday (sadly I am back at work! Six weeks went way too fast!) that I had a girl? I'm in a blue shirt, the bedsheets were blue and Kadri's blanket was blue also. Maybe I should put that blanket aside for when we someday have a little boy! Hopefully!

What a cute family! Howie is getting used to having Kadri around. I still get the cold shoulder from him occasionally, when he feels I've paid too much attention to Kadri though.

When I pick Howie up after we'd just come home from the hospital - two days after Kadri was born! An obnoxious story - I told him that he was a monster! Before Kadri was born I had always thought Howie was a little dog. After holding Kadri for two days and then picking up Howie who was twice her weight at that point, I changed my mind. Kadri is going to outweigh him soon enough though and then I'll go back to thinking he is a little dog!

I didn't get to go home the day after Kadri was born because I didn't sleep the night she was born, or the night before when I was in labor either, and I had a little emotional breakdown when the PA from the doctor's office came to check on me. I was pretty ticked that my doctor wouldn't just let me go home. It was nice that she wanted me to get some sleep, but I would much rather have slept in my own bed.

I blame some of my exhaustion on the incessant "visitors" I had at the hospital as well. Good grief! Not only were there nurses in and out all day and all night, but I was putting up with a zillion other people as well. There was the lady who did Kadri's first hearing check, who can be forgiven for her visit. There was the pediatrician, who can also be forgiven for his visit. I had someone from the cafeteria coming in two hours before every meal, then bringing my meals and taking my dishes away after meals. I did get hungry so they were appreciated visits, but still obnoxious! I had two visits from the lady who collected the information for the birth certificate, whose visit was necessary as well. The worst were the visits from the many community organizations established for the benefit of children - nothing against the organizations, just the visitors to my hospital room - who outstayed their welcome telling me things I already knew or had already been reading about taking care of a baby and oohing and ahhing about how comfortable Kadri and I seemed with each other. You think? We'd been pretty inseparably connected for nine months prior to Kadri's birth, and it wasn't the first time in my life I'd held a baby!

Anyway, I didn't even have a chance to take a nap during the day, hence my emotional breakdown over the fact that I was so tired, and then my doctor wouldn't release me from the hospital until Saturday. Annoying!

To finish on a happy note, here's another picture of my pretty girl!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I agree about the constant visitors to the hospital room. I tried to convince Everett to keep it quiet that we were even going to the hospital with Braelyn, but it didn't work. Glad to see you and Kadri are doing well! I can't wait until you come for a visit and I can meet her personally!