Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Howie's First Camping Trip

Well, now that we've been back from our two week Idaho trip for almost two weeks, I suppose it's time to start updating my Blog!

First things first, for all those who care to know, I did manage to find a job! Hooray, mostly. I have some mixed feelings about this situation, but I'm mostly grateful to have a job and a way to pay our bills for now. And if Squirt waits long enough to be born, we may have some insurance to help cover the costs of his or her birth if there are complications. And we really hope there aren't.

I'm also really grateful that I haven't been yelled at at this office yet, and no one has sworn at me, or told me they will "literally kill" me if I have a name misspelled in a draft document.

On to happier things!

While we were in Idaho, Tim and Howie and I met up with Nich and Kris one Saturday night at Rigby Lake for dutch over dinner and a one night camp out. It was super-fun!

Here are a few pictures of the festivities!


Nich and I setting up the tent, and that was my 22 or 23 weeks pregnant belly!


Nich and Kris preparing yummy blueberry cobbler!


Tim, the fire master! Also the smores stick master! He didn't get just any puny sticks for our smores festivities! He practically cut down whole trees to get to just the perfect sticks! Thanks, Tim!






And finally, a few pictures of Howie, the wild-outdoors dog!

Howie had a great time camping while the sun was up! He ran all over, while managing to stay pretty close to the campsite (always within hearing distance), and ate all kinds of things that he shouldn't have been eating probably. We warned him that there would be no expensive visits to the vet to save him if he ended up being sick because of what he ate. We told him he'd just have to die a slow, agonizing death! But he still persisted in eating things he shouldn't eat and managed not to get sick.

Once it got cold in the evening, Howie didn't love camping as much. He wasn't crazy about the fire (go figure!), and he spent a lot of the night snuggled up with me or his Aunt Nich to help him keep warm. At one point I went to grab something out of the car and Howie jumped into the car and was ready to go back to Grandma's house. He wouldn't come back out of the car, so he spent a few hours there by himself until I dragged him out and took him into the tent to sleep.

He was unsure about sleeping in the tent, and it took him a little while to figure out that if he crawled down inside the sleeping bag he'd be warmer, but eventually he did and he slept much better than either Tim or I slept on the air mattress that went flat halfway through the night. Ouch!

All in all, I think Howie would try camping again, and I sure hope he gets the opportunity!

5 comments:

Jeanna said...

Yay! for a job! You are so cute...and your hair is getting so long. I am so glad we got to see you. Miss you lots and lots.

Erin said...

That is fun you and Nich got to go camping together with your hubbies! Glad you had a fun visit and I'm glad you have a job now that treats you better. Your hair really is longer then I maybe have ever seen it!

Nichole Vollmer said...

Thanks for sharing the pics on your blog! I did not know so many pictures were taken. I enjoyed looking at them. I am even going to make sure Kris sees them.

Shaunie said...

Kira, you camped right by my new house! I live like three minutes away from Rigby Lake. Congrats on your job.

Nichole Vollmer said...

I think I can get the pictures from your blog, but I was wondering if you would be able to e-mail the camping pictures to me so I can have them too?